Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Begrudged Relapse

Oh, the shame, the horror, the agony. 

I cannot show my face to you, my faithful 6 and a half readers. What will you think of me now. How can I continue to post here, in my purported adamant disregard for fads and frenzies, while unbeknownst to about 2 and a quarter of you, I have committed the ultimate sacrilege. I have about faced, gone against my most fundamental principles, and relapsed into the floundering depths of social reintegration. Yes, it is true. No, don't look at me, I beg you. 

My name is Eureka, and I am back on the dreaded Facebook. Albeit, grudgedly. But that does not excuse the act itself, far from it. It only compounds the hypocrisy of my crime. 

Forgive me dear readers, for I have sinned gravely. I have forsaken you, and betrayed your trust. I am worthless, petty, and to be pitied for succumbing to the temptation. 

Blame the human condition for requiring social interaction. Blame Egyptian youth for allowing it to encapsulate so-called socializing. Blame Obama for being so damn cool.

Better yet, blame my mother for calling me a hermit. 

Is it my fault that the best way to appease her is by regaining my currently ephemeral popularity? Thankfully, it isn't. It is my fault for abandoning my world in the first place. Blame graduation. Blame Mr. Boss Man. Blame Roonies for making fun of my being on Facebook.

Better yet, blame my mother for calling Facebook a degenerate waste of time. 

I told you, there's no pleasing that woman. 

Isn't rubbing her disdain for Facebook in her face fun? Bloft will love this. 

You know what pisses me off most about all this? My email account is going to be bombarded with Facebook notifications that I can't see during the day because the IT Geek Gods have blocked half the interwebbings. Snozboogers. 

But I digress.

My readers, my friends, my bloggingmen. I pray you find it in your heart to forgive my transgressions. 

If you cannot, check out Dixie and Daisy on my Facebook profile. That should be adequate compensation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

most of the people that i know that reluctantly use facebook are either thespians or musicians, and consider it a bitter pill to swallow, a necessary evil to make it in the industry. On the other hand it is usually my square, hipster friends who center their lives around facebook.....but rumor has it that back home in egypt everyone is on faz book, i've heard that the most popular come on line is --------andik faz book?

either way you're still cool :D

Fesh said...

*gasp*

You disgust me.

thingsonmymindgrapes said...

Do you need me to get off Facebook again to even the stakes?

Anonymous said...

its ok to be on facebook, its not a sin, it helps kill time when you're bored or tired of doing the same thing
plus you can change the settings so that you don't get emails from facebook

Eureka said...

Anon 1: Thanks! I think you're cool, too :D And yes, "faz book" - or feaz booooook - has totally taken over everything you can possibly imagine. I think people have entire relationships just on that damn thing. So sad or something.

Fesh: I hide my face in shame.

Grape: NO NO NO! You can't abandon me now!

Anon 2: haha I know, I just NEED to know when something happens on it, that was my problem to begin with - I got so sidetracked by fbook that I figured I needed to get off to have a life. That back-fired into never finding time to make contact with 99.9% of the people I know. Hermitization in all cases. It's a dangerous, double-edged virtual sword.

Anonymous said...

Why on earth didn't you blame me? I suggested it! You are too kind. I was going to comment on the previous post but I think we'll just have to talk about that because I have too much to say for this tiny box.

All Rights Reserved

© 2009 Eurekaisms Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape