Friday, September 11, 2009

Master of Ceremonies

Those of my 6 and a half readers who've seen me know that I am pretty preppy in appearance. Typical Ralph Lauren fare during the day, reminiscent of Diane von Furstenberg at night. My style icon is Audrey, my design allegiance is French.

However, one of my more secret dreams does not fit the bill in the slightest. I want to rap. No, not pop rap like Gwen or Gaga and co. do on occasion. I mean hardcore rap like Jay-Z and Biggie. I am a rap fan. I storm through the H-O-V's discography like it is bubblegum Britney. But I don't mean rap like today's idiots with metal on their teeth and money to burn. I mean lyrics that describe a whole society's struggle to fight against the establishment. A nation's inability to care of an entire stratum of its people. A sub-culture erupting from the seams of America. Specifically, I am a New York-based rap fan. B.I.G and Nas are significant contributors to my music collection. But the most important of all is the almighty Jay-Z.

Sunshine recently mentioned that one of the strangest things she's seen is a white, preppy, law and literature major knowing every word to a Jay-Z track. Not just one track but full albums. We'd be sitting having lunch with an iPod on shuffle and as soon as Jay comes on the world comes to a stand still and I blast off along with him, eyes closed, head bouncing and arm flailing to the beat.

I would love to be the world's first female, Egyptian, English-speaking rapper. But what would I rap about? What hardship have I faced? I'd have little more to mouth off about than the pitiful state of grammar in hip-hop. I'd complain about the lack of leadership through education exhibited by the hip-hop community, where it is considered cool to drop out, use ain't instead of isn't for the sake of a rhyme or meter, and refer to women, drugs and guns in derogatory terms. Who'd listen to music as prissy and uptight as that?

Even Egypt-based qualms aren't engaging. Who cares that the traffic sucks, the government is corrupt and your religion defines your every move? Many people can't even point to Egypt on the map. All they'd really want to hear about are the camels, the pyramids and the harems filled with bellydancers.

But Egypt is what I know. Egypt, religious and gender-based discrimination, corruption, nepotism, bribery, traffic, social injustice and the power of money are the things I'd rap about. I'd rap about family, quasi-parenthood, straddling the East-West fence, the ignorance shared by the world and the impact of globalisation of the messages we send out as rappers. I'd tell the world that there are more important things to focus on than their fixation on combatting terrorism in the Middle East. That fueling the region's misconceptions and thus hatred of the West will do little to save them from another 9/11. That their own view of the region as a backward civilization filled with hate is the cause and catalyst for the hate. I'd tell the world to focus on their children. To improve their education, to encourage cross-cultural dialogue and to stop magnifying global differences.

I'd rap in correct grammar. I wouldn't use curse words just for the sake of it. I'd diss drugs rather than people. I'd preach doing right instead of doing every ho on the block.

I want to rap because there is more to be said than money cash hoes and rims on my rims. Listening to the Blueprint 3 (which I must say is a fun album but is by no means on par with any of Jay-Z's previous work - Jay I love you but please stop trying to do seductive rap) proved that even Jay can run out of things to say. The problem with hip-hop isn't autotune. The problem with hip-hop is a fixation on a limited number of issues that causes the community to fixate on said issues. Rap about something new and your fans will follow. Enlighten rather than limit the scope of their interests. Rap about the future - create a Blueprint for that.


8 comments:

thingsonmymindgrapes said...

I know some politically conscious Egyptian rappers I can put you in touch with if you promise to let me be your backup dancer.

Eureka said...

You'd be part of the unit!

Robert De Sable said...

If you want meaningful rap, I would steer away from the American genre a bit, and search instead the French and Israeli. Huge rap fan myself.

PS. Funny, I never envisioned you as a rapper. Maybe you should join Fishawy and the Arabian Knights...NOT.

Anonymous said...

You should team up with Tamer Hosny instead LoL

Tamer Timberlake said...

'Typical Ralph Lauren fare during the day, reminiscent of Diane von Furstenberg at night. My style icon is Audrey.'

izzay yanni?

i'm trying to wrap my noggin around that iconic breakfast at tiffany's image of dainty audrey holding congress on the corner of malcom x and 'one-two-fifth' in a black givenchy dress.

now would your 'flo' be in iambic pentameter?

awesome blog!

Eureka said...

Timberlake, thanks for the compliment! Looking forward to your haberdasher's snark :) Think of me as an anomaly. Today could be in meter, tomorrow in haiku!

Anonymous said...

I saw Ahmed Mecky on Naguib Sawiris's talk show two weeks ago. He mentioned that he is droping a rap album soon. He also said that Rap originated in Arabia, in the olden times! I'd love to hear Sir-Mix-A-Lot's reaction to this bullshit-trivia nugget.

Also what other forms of urban expression were conceived in shebh el Jezeera el Arabia,? Graffiti, B-boying and Pistol-whipping maybe.

Any way, great post and I'd love to hear you spit game.

Robert De Sable said...

I think miniature golf and Camel drive-by's originated from shebh el Jezeera el Arabia.

All Rights Reserved

© 2009 Eurekaisms Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape