Tuesday, December 11, 2007

'Tis the Season to be Jolly?

Firstly, I really must apologize for what Nesticleez so correctly labelled "weak" blogging as of late. However, Nesticleez conveniently neglected to acknowledge the fact that I've continued to succumb to my FMF/IBS drama over the past couple of weeks, which as always have rendered me quite usless. For shame, Nesticleez, for shame.

Now that that's out of the way, let us move on to my favourite time of the year: CHRISTMAS!

The Christmas tree went up on Friday, as did the garland that is placed above the entrance to the kitchen. My mother and I decided to light the tree differently this year (which basically means we wanted to be totally kitsch and add a million and one more lights). Lo and behold, with our new lighting system, we did not have enough to cover more than the bottom two rungs of the tree.

Uh oh...

Rush around Cairo trying to find Christmas lights. Zoom zoom zoom went the Mummy in her gas guzzler, ring ring ring went Eureka's phone to Lord knows how many stores.

EUREKA! (It's Christmas, I can be corny) we found the specific type of lights last night! Where? All the way across town. Typical. So we now need to wait until they are shipped from Mohandeseen to Zamalek (two different districts in Cairo) where a friend will pick them up along with her Christmas shopping.

Ah, the logistical nightmares of the holiday season.

However, it is worth it. I can confidently boast that my house is always one of the best decorated in Cairo. Because we're wicked like that.

As an added bonus during my deathly hours this week, I actually had real live honest to goodness work to do. Perfect timing. I told you Murphy's Law should be named after me.

Picture a doubled-over hobbling girl in a suit and overcoat sitting at a computer working on a presentation. On nothing but painkillers (that really do not deserve to be called anything other than stupid pointless ulcer-causing compressed powder that serves no purpose whatsoever) and tiny, terrified sips of water to avoid complete dehydration.

Saturday through today has been FMF. Monday through Wednesday was IBS. I should be awarded something for my bravery and fortitude. Or maybe someone should do to me what one does to a lame horse. Save us all the trouble.

8 comments:

thingsonmymindgrapes said...

O Eureka. For shame yourself. You can't build up a loyal readership and then leave us in the dark. It's your civic duty as a blogger to satisfy your fans! For shame, indeed.

I do hope you are feeling better, and I really hope you don't blow a fuse when hooking up the added lights. A burnt to the crisp Eurka may be sexy though.

Eureka said...

I'm sure my readership will be gracious enough to give me the benefit of the doubt if I'm inactive for a week.

And I thank them for their patience. I appreciate it.

Regarding the Christmas lights, I'll be sure to have you plug them in when they're set up, just to be safe :P

Because a crisp Nesticleez is so much sexier than a crisp Eureka!

Forsoothsayer said...

what is fmf?

merry christmas. but how come i've been de-linked! itbadanti? is fair if u did.

Eureka said...

FMF is Familial Mediteranean Fever. I'll post something about what it means soon, I just haven't gotten round to it :)

Merry Christmas to you too!

I didn't itbidden, i didn't even realize it was gone! I meant to remove Sean Anderson (because he seems to have deleted the blog. Unfortunate, because it was brilliant). This is what happens when you try to administrate with a 39C fever.

La Gitana said...

MERRY MERRY CHRISTMASSSSS!

Actually we had the opposite problem, too many lights for a slightly smaller tree this year. So we doubled up and ended up with a drag queen tree on crack. Pretty though.

Oh and salamtik! Although I have showered you with salamat every day, bas mish moshkila.

Forsoothsayer said...

i actually really dislike most aspects of christmas and a few years ago prevailed on my family to cease and desist putting up the tree. in additon my mom took it into her head some years ago that santa claus and angels and any figure was a graven image and she threw all that out. we're just left with holly and tinsel and non-human ornaments now.

Eureka said...

Seriously? We just like the way the house looks, it's a nice change from year to year. Sometimes I fear my mother's lifelong ambition is to get our house in Architectural Digest or something.

The Christmas tree is just a fun tradition. I don't see it as part of the religious aspects of Christmas, just the childhood memories. Plus it means I get to boss my sister around :D

Forsoothsayer said...

yeah but i still think christmas is too jingly jangly. also my sister is unbossable. 7aga bedan.
besides, i don't like with the 'rents.

All Rights Reserved

© 2009 Eurekaisms Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape