Sunday, January 18, 2009

Mindless Materialism

Have I ever mentioned just how important the art of shopping is in a woman's life?

Men buy clothes when they need to. A tattered t-shirt here, a torn pair of jeans there, a hole in the left sole of a pair of shoes. Things eventually are worn past their expiration date and must be replaced. Men have enough clothes and shoes to only need one wardrobe to store their things in. This is how you can tell carpenters are men. They build for practicality, not fashion.

Women, on the other hand, have a divine affinity for all things pretty. We like to be surrounded by beautiful items of clothing and leather goods. Those women who do not are either superhuman or have moral or ethical beliefs that trump their natural attraction to pretty things. Good for them, for they are better than me.

It is not that we lovers of pretty things are stupid enough to be duped by the commerciality of the fashion industry. We know we're being gypped. We know full well that Prada or Tod's are making something like 500% on every item we buy, and that's when the item is on sale. Hell, we're probably the ones who budgeted that 500% margin into Temperley's books in the first place. We know that all things pretty are overpriced. However, we realize that prettiness and exclusivity come at a premium, and we are willing to pay that premium for the joy we get out of owning these items.

I bring this up because of the way I spent my weekend. I spent a good 3 months' worth of pay in the space of 24 hours on a variety of overpriced clothing and leather goods. 50% off, but overpriced nonetheless. Now, I admit to being a generally prudent person when it comes to personal finances. I border on being stingy when it comes to spending money on myself. But this weekend, I rediscovered the joy of buying pretty things.

Usually, I only experience it in London, when grandpa's the one spending the money on my pretty things (also, up until very recently, you couldn't really shop in Cairo even if you wanted to. Over the last couple of years, an exponential number of foreign brands set up shop here, much to all credit card bill payers' collective chagrin). For once, I actually gathered up the balls to spend some money on myself rather than scrounge every penny for some hypothetical rainy day. What am I even saving so carefully for anyway? It's not like I have to worry about anything resembling bills, utilities, or credit ratings. I have dear old Daddy to take care of all that for me. One of the perks of living in the Middle East and it's patriarchal mentality.

Score one for the ladies, there.

Men, always remember that women are not stupid. We just find joy in different things. You like nothing more than a cold beer in front of a football game. That's fine. We don't knock you for it. We love shoes, bags, coats, and dresses. It is those expensive shoes and dresses that make us feel great, and thereby sexy. And when we feel sexy, you know that means you're going to get some. So shut up and don't dare make fun of our spending habits, because at the end of the day, you're benefitting anyway.

Score one for the men, and a million for the ladies, there. What could be better than a win-win situation?

No comments:

All Rights Reserved

© 2009 Eurekaisms Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape