Saturday, February 23, 2008

Trump in my Living Room

Abdul Aziz Al Ghurair's son is staying at my 14-year-old cousin's house as part of an ISAC (International Schools Athletic Conference) tournament and boy, oh boy, must that child be suffering from major culture shock.

Being the son of Forbes' 86th richest billionaire (est. worth US$8bn) and FNC Speaker of the House, he has grown up in a completely different world to us little people. On his way to my cousin's house, he very innocently asks if he "knew Hosni Mubarak" because "he was over at our house last week." Yes, of course, dear! He's dropping by for tea tomorrow afternoon, so be sure to come home straight after your tournament.

My brother came home yesterday quite despondent and deep in thought. My mother asked him what was on his mind, and he looked at her and said "do you know what he has parked in his garage?" and went on to list something like 3 Ferrari's, 2 S-Classes, and a plethora of 4x4's, muscle cars, and antiques. My car-loving brother probably doesn't have all of those in his car magazine collection, so I can imagine how distraught he must have been drooling over the fabled garage. I wonder if they need an apprentice in-house mechanic?

And how dare Al Ghurair only come back from the USA with four iPhones, knowing he has five children? Daddy really needs to adjust his finances, people will think he is as poor as we are.

Now my aunt really doesn't know what to do with this kid, who is staying with them for 4 days. This boy's room is probably three times bigger than my aunt's entire apartment, which by Cairo standards is of generous size. Plus, he has to share the bathroom with my cousins, something he probably didn't even knew happened in households. Sharing a bathroom? Is that like a form of fast? Have I done something wrong?

What to feed him? He's probably used to banquets for every meal, not the two-item menus we poor folk are forced to get by on. Where's the roast lamb foetus? What about the poached Bald-Eagle eggs? Chicken? I'm supposed to eat chicken? My dogs get rib-eye steaks as snacks!

Ok, ok, I kid. He hasn't complained or commented once. According to my aunt he is immensely well-raised, polite, considerate, and quiet. His mother was very nice on the phone, thanking my aunt for her "exemplary hospitality".

He's also got great shoes. Who'd have thunk it?

No comments:

All Rights Reserved

© 2009 Eurekaisms Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape