Monday, September 1, 2008

Disgruntlement With the Self

But still, I never learn. Experiences seem to flit over me, hitting me on the head much like a stone skipping over a placid body of water, making momentary ripples that promise permanence yet are forgotten before the ever-widening rings come to pass. The larger issue seems to be my complete awareness of the repetitive nature of my mistakes. I know exactly how the event will play out. I should, I’ve lived it time and again. I know that I am merely setting myself and others up for disappointment, that I will kick myself for going through with it later, that dealing with the subsequent fall-out or debris is sure to be a hassle. But still, I never learn.

Once again, I agreed to a blind date. Once again, I knew full well that it wouldn’t be successful beforehand. Did I weasel out and save both parties the trouble? No. I chose to take the easy route and be accommodating to the whims and hopes of others. Same stupid submission; different day.

Maybe on some level in my subconscious, I think that this “yes, ma’am” attitude is a form of self-sacrifice for a greater good – a positive gesture to the happiness of others. But really, it isn’t. What have I achieved? I’ve appeased the person pushing for the date, but only to provide false hope to both the pusher and the poor man being thrust in an uncomfortable position. I have basically led him on before even introducing myself. I’m a perpetual tease.

And what boggles my mind further is the fact that he ticks all the right boxes. So I should have no excuse not to like him. He is gorgeous (think a semi-buff Gerard Butler), he is smart, he is ambitious, he’s the perfect age, he’ll make a great family man, and he’s a gentleman. AND he fits my mother’s “Good Christian Boy” requirement. That’s every box on my list ticked.

He complimented me just often enough to be flattering yet sincere. He was eloquent. He was interesting. He was funny and charming and genuine. It wasn't a game or a dance to be played out with certain step-requirements. It was an honest and open introduction of two individuals shoved in each other's direction.

He put up with an hour's driving in some sketchy Cairo neighbourhoods at one a.m. because I am road illiterate and too stubbornly proud to admit it. He put up with a crowded evening of strangers and 4,000 renditions of my broken foot story to as many new faces. He even held the car door open without being instructed to. The last of London's chivalrous men.

And yet I nit-pick. My reason this time? I don’t see the families getting along.

That just makes me a complete bitch.

And I know I'll only see him again while he's still in Cairo out of guilt and remorse.

Why am I still waiting for the fairytale and fireworks when it is obvious that those only exist in the magical realms of the imagination? He borders on perfect. Hell, he’s every woman’s Mr. Right.

Why can’t I accept him as mine?

Because I’m an idiot who is actively pushing herself into a life of solitary confinement in my own deluded psyche, that’s why.

Run folks, otherwise you’re destined to read about years of therapy and cynicism.

11 comments:

Fesh said...

I'll date him.
*ahm*
I mean... I can hook him up with my "sister".

D said...

Do the families know each other or was that just ur decision on the matter?

Eureka said...

Yeah they're familiar with one another. I see Daddy throwing 17 tantrums about them. Even my Mum doesn't see him getting along with them. You know Daddy, dfs. In his own world. So why bother with the guy in the first place?

Anonymous said...

When it comes to making a commitment with a guy, there will definitely be some issues that may cause friction. However, this requires a compromise not only from you but also from your family as well. Ask any married woman or married guy whether the in-laws are best friends, the reply will most probably be no. Both families are willing to compromise for sake of their children.
Think of the reason why the families won't get along. Is there a way to bridge the differences or are they irreconcilable ones?
You shouldn't sacrifice your happines for the sake of your family.

D said...

I agree with anonymous here. You go on with ur thing and see if that works, and if it does daddy will makes space for them in his own world because his eureka would be happy.
Give it a shot says the wise DFS, if he's good for nothing then at least he's eye candy, polite, good company, intelligent.... PERFECT u freak!

thingsonmymindgrapes said...

Eurek...I'm going to have to agree with the rest here. If you had a good time, you at least owe it to yourself to see where it may go. If he is as good of a guy as you say he is, it's quite possible that your parents may come around and accept him/his family.

Eureka said...

Yes, agreed with you all. Kindly note that I am NIT PICKING. I am CREATING the problem myself. I'm currently using my perception of family snobbery to aid and abet my escape.

The point I'm trying to work on is the fact that even though this guy is ostensibly God's gift to Eureka, I still no-likey. Why am I SUCH a pussy?

Hopeless case, maties.

Anonymous said...

Eureka it's better to try to seize this opportunity than to watch it slip away. Stop being such a pessimist. Things always have a way of working out miraculously.

My advice is stop using your brain for once and just let things flow whatever path they should. It feels a bit weird but the end result is always pleasant.

Eureka said...

hahaah anonymous, you just described me perfectly. The pessimistic overthinker.

Anonymous said...

Your just like!

Anonymous said...

forgot the me

All Rights Reserved

© 2009 Eurekaisms Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape