Thursday, November 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Dear Blog!

Dear Eurekaisms,

366 days ago (it is, after all, a leap year), you came into our world blinking and wavering on your little webling footsies. You were born at a time of uncertainty, as a beacon of hope for unfortunate, bored souls, very much like your mother. 

As with all spur of the moment ideas, I was unsure whether or not you would live to see your first birthday. Yes, it was a terrifying time. Would I be able to keep you interesting? Would I be able to keep you funny? Would you be updated regularly, or suffer my lack of discipline and focus? I must admit, there have been times where I thought of giving you up. Yes, I have had my moments of weakness. I was unsure of your development, of your entertainment value, and of my ability to keep you going. I knew that it would be better to delete you than keep you up, alone and abandoned. 

But the thought of leaving you tore my heart in two. You have given me so much, and introduced me to a whole world of possibilities within the interwebs. I have read heartfelt musings, funny familial anecdotes, and snarky political commentary through your links to the rest of the blogging community. I have followed the lives of people as far away as Singapore and Texas and that mystical place they call Maadi. I have learnt that regardless of location, of income, and of roots, we all have the same fundamental worries, experiences and senses of humour. Most importantly, we all believe in the importance of the correct use of a semi-colon. 

You have put up with my gripes, my groans, my failed attempts at wit, and my struggles with displaying or communicating emotion. You have quietly listened as I tried to chip at my defence mechanisms, and have encouraged my mediocre stabs at flash fiction. You have nurtured my love for the written word, and given my rusty brain an escape route where nothing I write or think is stupid or superficial. You have given me 6 and a half dedicated readers from New York, Munich, the UK, and that other weird place they call the land of princes. These readers have been engaging, supportive, and generally great to me, and I thank you (and them) for being my webbed friends in arms. 

You have been my outlet, my friend, my child. 

Thank you blog, and thank you cherished readers. 

Happy first birthday Eurekaisms,

Your [obviously deluded] mummy,

Eureka. 

1 comment:

thingsonmymindgrapes said...

Congratulations! I, too, struggle with this "blogging" business. I think you're doing a great job, though. And yes, the mystical world of Maadi welcomes you with open arms.

All Rights Reserved

© 2009 Eurekaisms Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape