Monday, October 12, 2009

Wedding Tick-Tocking

This weekend one of my cousins (a zillion times removed but a cousin nonetheless) got married. It was the whole 9 yards and then some: huge rambunctious wedding, beautiful bride (naturally seeing as we share genes), ecstatic couple, relieved and proud family, drunk and dancing friends, etc...

Attendees clocked in around the 1,500 mark (which by Egyptian standards is large but not out of the ordinary). More importantly, many of the invitees were Christian seeing as it was a Christian wedding. This gathering of possible eligible bachelors does not happen very often, so of course every other person I know and their great-aunt made sure to tell me to be extra hot, keep my eyes peeled for crucifix-bearing young men and accidently bump into the one that caught my fancy.

Usually, I would do my best to ignore the aforementioned and would just have a good time celebrating my friend and distant relative's blissful union. But recently (as you've been noticing in my increasingly depressing and monotone posts) I've begun to feel the pressure, so I dutifully cleaned up in my evening best, kept my eyes peeled for bachelors that fit the bill, and did more than my fair share of roaming around the room to make sure I hadn't missed anyone worth checking out. In a ballroom full of family friends, there were many spies making sure I did my bit. Hell, some were even pointing people out to me.

That night two very important things were made clear to me:
  1. Even in a room full of Christians, there are no eligible bachelors remaining. They are either taken, or are ugly / fat / short / smelly / missing a liver or six / with an IQ of -3.2 / unable to keep their eyes off Dixie & Daisy (WHO WERE NOT EVEN IN FULL ATTENDANCE I MIGHT ADD) / or any combination of the above. I had always suspected this and it was finally confirmed: There are no men in Egypt. And the taken ones lead me to revelation number 2:
  2. A year later, all I wanted to do was find and "accidentally" bump into last year's runaway guy. This is particularly disturbing since I haven't seen or spoken to him in 5 months and haven't exchanged more than a hello, how are you, lovely weather we're having since October 2008. I can't even claim a broken heart because I hadn't even fallen for him. All I can lay claim to is a mind-full of what ifs and whys. And that isn't reason enough to result in such one-track-mindedness.
Today's lesson is that eventually, everyone will have to face rejection. You need to know how to deal with it and move on. I just never thought I'd take it so poorly.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

great!

very reminiscent of one of my favorite bloggers that stopped pressing post a few months ago!


keep it up!

Eureka said...

thanks anonymous! hope you keep reading!

thingsonmymindgrapes said...

If it's any consolation, I would have been staring at Dixie and Daisy, too. Wait, how is that consolation?

Robert De Sable said...

I share your experience with rejection, I have had an encounter or two with it. Revelation number 2 took a precious year or two of my life as well.. I too cannot claim anything.

But it is what I learned from these experiences that was disturbing..not the encounters themselves.

Welcome to the (sick) social game..

evitana said...

I know people say that weddings are the best places for eligible bachelors, but I don't really know of that many people that actually met that way. Also if you're going to disregard anyone who's ugly then you're not gonna have much luck. Good looking Egyptian guys are few and far in between, unfortunately God gave our helping of good looks to the levants so look east if you want eye candy.

As for feeling the pressure, I just checked your FAQs and you're a mere 22 years young. If you're feeling the pressure now, then I must be sitting under a hippopotamus. Really you have plenty of time.

Robert De Sable said...

"Good looking Egyptian guys are few and far in between"

:(

evitana said...

if it makes you feel better, it's across the board.

Eureka said...

evitana - it isn't an age issue, really. It isn't like I'm looking to get married right away. I'm just worried about the complete lack of options out there once I do decide I'm ready for a serious commitment. I know my standards a difficult and I'm demanding more than what's readily available, but if I can bring it to the table then why can't I expect him to as well?

Eureka said...

Oh, and thank you for reading :)

Robert De Sable said...

Ever considered going beyond the local choices Eureka? I mean, that's what I'm doing.

All Rights Reserved

© 2009 Eurekaisms Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape